Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Novel Idea

    ::sigh::  Why can't I get the font and size I want on here......

   Sorry, got distracted there for a minute, the next sentence is actually the real beginning of this entry.

    "I'm very tired.  I've done my best, but it's never quite good enough.  It's exhausting to never be quite good enough."    This sentence just caught at my breath.

    A quote from a novel.  "High Noon" by Nora Roberts-one of my favorite authors.  You just never know where you're going to find a statement, a sight, an idea that so resonates with your own life. 

    I was sitting at the table drinking the warmed up remains of last night's coffee, waiting for the fresh pot to finish brewing, when I read that sentence. The light bulb that goes on(you know, the one in the cartoon bubble) when you come up with a bright idea or realization, clicked on.  An energy efficient one, of course, as I try to be earth conscious.  And shining bright in my mind was the realization that that particular sentence applied to my life, so wholly.  I looked tired, I felt tired, I "was" tired.  For 40(before 10 years of age, that's not so much a problem) odd years I'd just been too tired to notice what I was doing to myself.  Yes, that's what I said-Doing to myself!  My inner critic was leaving me feeling exhausted from the pervasive negativity running through my mind and soul. 

    Now that I've learned to tune out that inner critic, learned to look at my life with a more positive perspective(most of the time), I'm not so exhausted.  On the day that I decided enough was enough, that I needed to look at my "self" with a clearer eye, the critic faded into the background and became inconsequential.  Yes, it's still there in the periphery and once in a while will sneak in some degradation, but now I listen with a different ear.  Now I know how to listen.  How to turn that negativity into inspiration to improve my life.  Don't get me wrong, there are negatives that need work, and there are things that I can't change.  But now instead of feeling helpless and hopeless, I feel motivated to fix and improve what I can, and to accept with clear vision, what I can't.  As I work to turn that motivation into action, I am inspired with the hope and knowledge that when I stumble, I can get back up and keep moving forward.  As I sit here straining my poor caffiene deprived brain to finish this, I've got hundreds of little sparks of ideas just waiting their turn to spring forth. 

    I'm closing this entry now, to go feed those sparks some coffee-precious energy-so with coffee cup, pen and paper in hand, who knows where it will lead.  Who knows what I can become.  And, I am so excited.  Just from one novel idea.

                                ~Thanks For Stopping By~

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive! Sometimes I feel the need to write down the "spark" before I forget it! Dannelle

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put!  I need those reminders everyday!!! Going to find caffeine....have a wonderful weekend!  Karen

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for you---Hip, hip, hooray!  Hip,hip, hooray! Hip,hip, hooray!
That enthusiam is contagious.   Love to see you feeling positive.  Now I like
Nora Roberts even better.   Thanks for the comment on my journal.  
Write on, girl, write on!             Pat

Anonymous said...

I find inspiration like that at times too!!!  I am so happy that you are embracing the joy and shutting out the inner critic!!!!

Yay!  Have a great Weekend!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling when a light bulb goes off in your head when something crosses your mind.  I know negativity creeps into our lives and it is our responsibility to not let things get to us.  I always say that negativity is a drain on the soul and ultimately it is.  It does tire one out when one worries and frets over things that are beyond our control.  We are all our worst critics, never satisfied with what we do and that is a good thing to some extent but if we go overboard worrying about such things it does become a detriment to our being.  I do hope you have a happy weekend sweetie. Luv ya! : )

Allison

Anonymous said...

Glad to read you're using those engery efficient ligh'ts for your ideas ;-)
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

I know for myself that I am my own worst critic ~ very much so & find it hard to turn off that part of my psyche, could be other's wouldn't let me do it but some of it is my own self doing it.   Glad you are achieving headway with yours. Hugz and Blessings* Teresa

http://journals.aol.com/stetsonsfyre/remembering-to-exhale/

Anonymous said...

Nora Roberts gave me a great couple of weeks in prison, when I happened upon one of her books. She can really tell a story.

Anonymous said...

YOU inspire me with YOUR words here...  I've been in such a funk.  I know it's all up to me.  That old saying that mom always said, "life is what you make it"  ?  It's so damn true.  I'm hoping that notion will stick for a while ~ for both of us.  

I love the optimism in your voice.  I look forward to the day when I can click on 'ecstatic' for my emoticon!

Hugs,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

Very insightful entry!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I have felt that way my entire life.  Never quite good enough...but who wasn't I good enough for?  I don't ignore my critic; in fact, I welcome those conversations.  It teaches me something about myself, teaches me how to overcome the negativity, to listen and not let it drag me down.  I'm not a negative person, but I'm not quite a positive person, either.  I think rather that I am adaptable.  I'm in between both, in a gray area, but whichever way things turn, I can adapt.  Maybe I should have been a spin doctor, because I can turn the situation into what I want it to be.  Everyone succumbs now and then to negativity.  You have to have it to know what it means to be positive.  But you don't have to wallow in it.  
  Sounds like you are figuring yourself out!  Good for you!  It's always inspiring to witness someone learning, growing and changing.  Just think of the people you are helping out there!
  Joyce