Saturday, June 21, 2008

Just for a moment...........

   The world seemed to stop.  A pause so subtle, that if you weren't aware of it, it wouldn't have been noticed.  I paused, myself.  Looking at the clouds floating by, bottom-heavy with  moisture, kissed on the head with the sunlight of evening, I felt it.  Just for a fraction of a breath.  No breeze, no sound, the waves even coming to a hushed standstill.  Then everything slipped back into rhythm and the world moved on.  But just for that moment, the beauty was unspeakable, the emotion felt in every fiber of my being.  A tear formed in gratitude for being blessed with the experiencing of this miracle of nature, when one season slipped quietly into the next.  As the soft breeze of a spring evening became the shortest night of the year.  As I sat on the sandy beach, I watched three children build a sandcastle, or at least their best rendition of one.  Two kayakers drifted slowly on the lakes' blue surface, having a quiet conversation.  A laughing little girl with a plastic net waded in the shallows searching "little fish", who moved just quickly enough to avoid being scooped up.  Celebrants of this progression of life, unaware of the momentous transition.  Unaware of that pause as they go about the business of enjoying the simple pleasure of an evening at the lake. 

   My contemplation of being the recipient of this miracle of time, carried me for another hour.  To thoughts of summer's pleasures, of the ability to take the time to stop for a moment and just listen to life, to just enjoy your surroundings.  To pause long enough to catch the scent of a fresh summer day, to appreciate the sight of a delicate wildflower that adds to summer's palette of color, as it gently sways in a breeze. 

   It's moments like these that carry me through when life's vagaries make me wish for that peace, that quiet communion.  When things don't turn out as I'd hoped, when plans are changed and abandoned, when I want to escape the realities of daily existence, I draw a deep breath and visualize, feel my connection to the miracle of nature.  I come here to refresh my soul.  

                                ~Thanks For Stopping By~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty of this moment.  I too, have paused now, to be still and surround myself with the calm and comforting beauty of the birth of a new season.

Peace,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by via Magic Smoke--congrats on being a Guest Editor pick!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.  Congratulations for being chosen by the Editor.  I am one of Michelle's other picks.
                                                            DB
                                                       Vagabond Journeys

Anonymous said...

very nicely written!!!! I hope you have many more refreshments this summer season!

betty

Anonymous said...

oops, I forgot to say congrats on being a guest editor's pick this week!

betty

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being selected as one of the Guest Editor's Picks.  Great Job!


Hugs, Rose


http://journals.aol.com/rjsisti/roses-are-read

Anonymous said...

What makes your memories so wonderful to read is that include images.  I'm starting to think you'd really like the Lynda Barry book I talked about.  What It Is.
She's all about unearthing images we hold in our brains.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

I love how in touch you are with nature.  Your passion is so nice.  I'd love to be standing in Yosemite with you and hear what you have to say.  Have a happy Sunday.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've found since my deafness I'm given more and more of these moments. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

pure poetry....both the scene, and how you wrote it.  thank you for posting this, it's an oasis.