Friday, June 27, 2008

Some Clarification.

   Yesterday's entry was my frustration screaming out.  And at this time, I'd like to add some clarification, some insights about why I feel this way.  For me, now, my life is supposed to be about finally being able to live a life.  By that statement, I mean actually being able to do things.  Taking a day or a few, alittle money and having a fun experience.  I can't believe how tongue tied I am, right now.  Let's try again.

   I am so very grateful for my life, I have a career that is useful, making a difference in the lives of the elderly and disabled, that supports me.  I enjoy my work.  I have a roof over my head, clothes, food, a car, all my basic needs are met.  No, it's not ideal, but liveable.  I have a grown son that lives in another state, and for the most part takes care of himself.  For all these things, I am grateful.

   The majority of my adult life was spent meeting the needs of others, even at the expense of my own needs.  I worked hard.  I became my husbands sole caregiver when he became disabled, worked 13 years, 3 months and 7 days at a part-time job, without a whole day off.  Yes, I counted them, even the leap days!  It was what I had to do to add to the coffers.  There were no vacations, no day trips, no holiday spent just celebrating the day.  There was no moral, emotional, or physical help from his family.  I was on my own.  For years, I lived with the dread that things would never get any better.  There would never be anything else.  A hopelessness set in that nearly destroyed me.  When my husband passed away due to complications from surgery, my life was changed.   The ensuing 5 years have been about learning how to life my life for me.  How to find peace, hope, satisfaction, emotional health, healing some of the scars from the inside.  As you can see, some of them are still raw, but I'm getting better at it.

   Since that last entry, I've done some thinking about my situation, trying to figure out what I need to do to fix things, solutions that I can and have to live with.  Yes, I will go to the lake often, and yes I will enjoy that.  And I will find things to do on my hours off, but it's not the same thing.  It's not what I wanted(needed for *me*) to do for my summer.  The last few years have been about working, earning a living, knowing that I cuold support myself.  I  need more than that, now.  That's what the few plans this summer were about.  I have to reformulate my plans, somehow, for later.  In the meantime, I will go back to dreaming about going someplace, doing something for *me*.  I won't give up on those dreams.  Been there, done that, and I didn't like it.  Maybe this is a hint that I should be concentrating on my emotional health and spirituality, learning something else for now.  Maybe it's a hint that I should settle down and make that quilt for my son.  I think he's going to need it this next winter.

   Oh, and that neighbor came over last night while we were sitting outside, but Bro sat between us.  She's lucky!  This time....

                              ~Thanks For Stopping By~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never give up on dreams. You will get that time, perhaps you just should pick the dates (I know you will give everyone enough time) and insist at work they are yours! We want you happy and not frustrated, I hope I didn't add to your problems. I really do understand that burden you have had and you do need the "me" get away. Surrounding you with angels~ Dannelle

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the perspective 24 hours gives us.  

(hug)

Russ

Anonymous said...

I always feel like you're apologizing for your feelings, and if you don't think so, I bet your first response to that was "I'm sorry!"
From here, it does look a bit like you tend to get involved with people who are going to depend on you or even take advantage of your good nature.  I would bet you tend to take people at their word, so if your roommates say they'll pay the rent Tuesday, you'll believe them, even if you sort of know how much they make and how much they're spending and you can't figure out how they're going to do that.  Are you really surprised that they keep coming up short?
I think you would do well to trust your experience more than the words and promises of others, but you might have to get past your reluctance to be cast as the "bad guy" -- meaning, someone who stands in her truth even if it means calling others on their lack thereof.  Maybe you place too much of emotional premium on being liked, when you need even more to be respected.

Anonymous said...

It's a special heart one carries that can withstand such disappointments.  I came across your reads long ago and somehow got lost in cyber space.  It's not fair for your dreams to vanish just to keep a roof over others heads. I would ask for a reimbursement, due to plans that have been set in stone and let them worry as to what happens to their summer shindigs ~ If need be I'm here to help. Take care and enjoy you being you,
Katie
http://journals.aol.com/ktkamanski/HappyBeingMe/

Anonymous said...

All I can really say to you is that you have such a good head on your shoulders.  You care so much about others, you have a lot of passion.  You need to also live your life for you!  You need fulfillment in life beyond your work.  Hope you have a good weekend and make sure you do things that will make you happy at least a couple of times a week.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

I relate so well to a lot of what you speak of here.  I too, am finding ways to ensure that my life has meaning and purpose.  It's taken some time, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it...  I'm finding enjoyment in things that I let slip away through the years.  Things that fill the empty spaces and make me smile at the end of the day.  I'm glad you're continuing to find those things, too.  

We all have setbacks and days when we feel the weight of the world on our shoulders.  It's part of what makes us human, and allowing yourself to feel that is okay.  We are here regardless, and happily so.

::hugs::

Michelle

Anonymous said...

You are not alone with your frustrations and disappointments.  You will have the time you need to be at rest and with yourself.  Things take as long as they take and no one can predct how long that is.  Keep a good grasp of your dreams and desires and never, never give up.
                                                                               DB

Anonymous said...

I look at my life a lot and wonder what can I do to make it better? What I need to do. I am always confused. I'm a pretty happy person anyway. Just take time and enjoy yourself at the lake.

Anonymous said...

Frustration and disappointment can be hard to deal with.
It's good to vent (without punching out your neighbor!)
The more difficult thing is finding a way to justify doing things for yourself after years of selflessly taking care of others.
You can do it and you should.
Whether it's from guilt or thinking that you don't deserve it, some people can never get past it.
I know. I am dealing with someone right now who is in the same boat.
Don't give up on your dreams whatever they may be.
Guilt and worry won't get you anywhere.
It's important to move forward.

   have a good rest of the weekend.

                              sunny



                               


Anonymous said...

Your strength and inspiration is amazing. I have no doubt that eventually you WILL get to live your life the way you want. All in good time my dear friend. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't have to knock her into next week!  I hope you are having a better week!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Hey there... you are being too quiet...  I miss you!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/