Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Whew...Busy, busy!

     The title just about says it all.  I'm on a short day off during one of those insanely busy weeks with LOTS of hours.  56, if no more are added.  The midnight shifts are done, for now.  My schedule will be lightened up to 35 or so hours for a couple weeks and then I'm sure it'll pick back up.  I have to play catch up in reading journals, and really miss spending the time I'm used to here. 

    I do find the time to enjoy myself.  I was driving home from a Sunday midnight shift, when I just knew it was the perfect morning to stop at the State Park Office and get my year entrance sticker.  And of course, as I was right there, I might as well stop by the beach and see what was what.  It was a beautiful blue sky morning, calm winds, so the lake was like glass.  As I walked down the path to the beach, I looked up just in time to see one of my friends-a bald eagle-soaring just over the tree tops.  What an auspicious welcome to a place that hold so much meaning for me.  There's just something that draws me there when I have a couple hours to swim, walk the beach, just sit and watch the waves, write, and just be.  Do you know what I mean? 

   A visit to the lake isn't complete without rolling up the pantlegs and dipping my toes-okay up to my knees-in the water.  It's still Very Cold!!!  A deep, springfed lake that still had ice 7 weeks ago, Higgins Lake takes some powerful warm days and nights to get to that swim, without turning blue, temperature.  And I'll bet there's some fool out there who's already turned blue from a swim this spring.  There's one of the above ground springs that feed the lake, there at the beach, and it was actually warmer than the lake water.  I also had the privelege of seeing a Mama duck with 11(I had to count twice) still fuzzy, baby ducks going for a morning swim.  Thankfully, the eagle was off looking for breakfast somewhere else, but I bet the Mama duck knew that.  That kind of sight always touches me deep down, and nudges my gratitude for being able to live here(Home) again.  To really take the time to observe and appreciate the natural world that surrounds me, to remember that there's more to life than a fat paycheck and a Red Wings Stanley Cup win.  Which I will seriously be upset about, if they blow it!  Game 6 tonight at 8pm!

    There are so many things I want to do, so many projects running through my mind, so much to do, so little time.  I've got to pick one or two of my most desired and start working on them.  Right now, I'm in the middle of making 7 beaded necklaces that a friend wants to give as year-end gifts for her employees.  I lent her a necklace to wear to an event and she was looking for something unique and handmade, so.....  It did give me an excuse to go bead shopping, always a tough job, and of course I got "way" more beads than I needed, with some ideas for necklaces for myself.  That project may be at the top of my list of things to do for ME!

    Well, I've got some errands to run, haven't even gotten dressed after my "nap", and some journals to catch up on before the hockey game.  So, I'm off to fill the rest of my day off.  As always....

                                   ~Thanks For Stopping By~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it cool how a duck can't technically count but a mama duck always knows if she's missing a chick?

Anonymous said...

Wish I could see your beach! Sounds like you had an moment of time to brighten up all those work hours! Sounds lovely- Dannelle

Anonymous said...

your beach sounds lovely! what wonderful sights you see there! I would have enjoyed seeing that eagle!!

seems like you have a full day ahead of you; enjoy!!

and wow, that is a lot of hours to be worked, 56!! can't imagine!

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great place.

    Have a pleasant evening.

                       sunny

Anonymous said...

I like to bead too... I am scary in AC Moore!  LOL  Very cool about the Bald Eagle welcoming you... and then some ducklings with mama!  Oh how sweet!  Enjoy your 'me' time!  

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Your visit to the Lake sounded so serene and peaceful...I could just imagine the Eagle flying overhead. Thanks for sharing this moment with us hon. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

wow..56 hours...you certainly deserve some time at the lake.  it sounds beautiful, makes me wish i were there.  thanks for sharing your day, it transported me to a peaceful place.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are busy but have the time to stop and smell the coffee too.  You really need to get a camera and take pictures of all of your wildlife friends. : )  Hope you have a happy tomorrow.  Luv ya!

Allison