Tuesday, June 10, 2008

::sigh::

 Update:  3:40pm.  We're under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning till 4:00pm, but I can see blue sky out my western facing window.  So there's still hope of getting my hands dirty!

Rain, Rain, go away, come again another day....

or later tonight, after I get the gardening stuff done. 

   Plant shopping,  I love it.  I've done some over the last couple days and am ready to get things in the ground and pots.  But the sky has other plans for me this morning.  Hopefully, it will clear up-or at least quit raining later this afternoon.  We built a cute little 8x2 ft. garden by the front door porch, just need to add some soil and enrichments and I'll be ready to plant.  We're putting in some purple osteospermum(look like daisies), ruffled petunias, tall snapdragons, and I'm going to stick a couple fernleaf dill plants in there.  I don't think they'd do very well in pots as they'll get to about 3 ft. tall.  Then, Bro's got some flowers for the front, and I've got some herbs for pots.  One will be full sun, with sage, rosemary, chives, thyme, and basil.  Then one for part shade with parsley, lemon balm, and lemon thyme.  I've got some coleus and sweet potato vines for another pot that I want to put on the back porch rail.  I just love the combination of dark reds and greens of these two foliage plants.  I just have to keep it well watered.

    Why wait so long?  Well, in my area, the last frost date is May 31st, the nights are finally warm enough for plants to not be too stressed by cold.  We have a fairly short growing season, with the first frosts in the fall a possibility as early as late Sept. 

    I miss gardening the way I used to in Ohio.  I could dig and plant anything-anywhere I wanted.  I had vegetable gardens stuck all over the back yard.  I always had pots of flowers and foliage plants on the deck, the morning glorys owned the lattice work that sided the deck, and sometimes invaded the central space if we didn'twatch them closely.   But then, I didn't work such long hours, and had the time to nurture and weed.   I'll be happy with what I can do here, and make it as wonderful as I can.  I'd love to be surrounded by plants!!!

    I have a short morning shift-taking my client thrift shopping!  :)  Then maybe I can come home and get my hands in the dirt!  Hope to be able to write more tonight.  I have an entry all ready to go, started it last night, got down to the last sentence, looked away from the keyboard to talk to Potsey, hit the wrong key and POOF!  cleared screen.  So I wisely closed down and went to bed.  ::sigh::

                             ~Thanks For Stopping By~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My wife comes from St. Paris, Ohio, and we also have a garden of veggies in Union Grove, WI where the rain and flooding is on national TV lately.
   Please visit my own AOL Blog sometime,  'Old Soldier Tom's Journal.'
I like your positive attitude and posts.  Perhaps we have somethings in common.
Have a great day!

Cordially,
Tom Schuckman
tschuckman@aol.com
Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

I'm sick of rain too, I hope it gets nice out already. Hope you get a chance to get your hands dirty in the mud.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your planting and gardening!  Wise choice on going to bed... I have hit the wrong key and 'poofed' my entry many times!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

wow, that is a short growing season and I thought Montana where we used to live had a short one; the last time you could get frost there was May 15th; it was so fun to watch people start planting after that day outside but lots would use starter plants in their garage to get "the ball rolling"

I like a good thunderstorm unless I have plans to do something outside, like you did with planting; hope it has cleared up so you can dig around and plant those beautiful plants you were talking about; I have never heard of those osteospermum flowers, but I do know what a daisy looks like; do hope you share pictures down the line :)

etty

Anonymous said...

I sure understand about the garden- hope for good weather your way. We have short time too and we are less than 1 hour from desert! That's what altitude will do for you. Dannelle