Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's Thursday!!

   Good afternoon.  How's everyone doing on this snowy(that's right) afternoon.  Actually, it has stopped snowing for now, but this morning we had a lovely layer about 2" deep on the grass and cars.  Very pretty from the livingroom window.  Hey, why complain about it?  You can't avoid it here in Northern Lower Michigan.  Last year we had a freak snow storm in mid-Oct. and then I was walking on the lakeshore in jeans and a sweatshirt on Dec. 24th.  And if you don't like the weather, wait a day and it'll change. 

    I'm here to do my Thankful Thursday and just kind of catch up alittle.  It's been a busy week for me.  First, on Thursday night last week(Nov. 1st) I had to go to Oscoda which is 90+ miles from home for a client that had no aide.  There are a limited number of aides with the skill level to take care of her and none were available.  So, after my 4-7pm shift, I got on the expressway and headed east-south-east.  The trip took about 1 3/4 hours.  I worked the two hour shift and began my return trip home.  About 12 miles from home, on the expressway, my headlights suddenly went out.  OMG.  That's right, immediately after using my turn signal to pass a car that was moving onto the exit ramp, !Poof!  I'm driving along in the dark(12:30AM).  Flashers go on and I slowed and pulled over.  Called home and discovered no one would answer.  I crept along the side of the highway and as I rounded a curve(about 1 mile) I saw the flashing lights of a police car!  Yay, help.  The officer was at the scene of a car-deer accident with the wrecker.  They looked over the car, fuses, wires, and whatever else and couldn't find the problem.  Of course the tow truck driver was "kind enough" to offer to get the flatbed truck to tow my car back to his location for repair.  (Hah, I don't have any jewels valuable enough to sell to cover the cost of that, pal.)  The county officer asked me where I lived and said he'd give me a ride home because he had to go to the gas station to gas up-in Roscommon.  My lucky night!!!  So I pulled the car over as far as I could to the side(to be picked up when it was daylight)and was delivered home about 15 minutes later.  The culprit was the dimmer switch-stuck between the high and low beams.  Easily repaired once we found the part. 

    Last night, I received a call from the office and they needed someone to  work a 12 hour midnight shift.  I know the client, the pay was good, I knew I could nap, it gave me 5 1/2 hours overtime, so I said yes.  My day had started at 4:30am as I had a 6:30-8:30am shift, a 10-12pm shift and a 12:30-4:30pm.  I said I could be there at 8:30pm, made a huge pot of coffee, ate, showered and packed my bag for the night(a good book and snacks) and left for work.  I've been on the go since then, with about 3 hours of sleep and I don't feel too bad.  So without further ado here is my Thankful Thursday list for this week- 

1. Coffee.  Of course, this afternoon it's essential.  And yes it does help me stay awake when I need it to, but doesn't seem to bother me when it's time to sleep.

2.  The extra hours of work I was able to get this week.  Into the computer fund it goes! :-)

3.  The very nice police officer who came to my aid last Thursday night.  And the poor deer and car that got damaged, that brought him to where I needed him to be. 

4.  My mechanic.  He's very reliable, quick, efficient, and knows how important my car is to my job, so he fits me in for work as quickly as possible.  Thanks James!

5.  Oh, and did I mention coffee?  Yeah, I know I did, but I'm getting kind of punchy- not really enough time for a nap today, I had a 10-12pm and I have a 4-7.  So I'll pass out very early tonight. 

   I think my time is almost up.  There are others waiting for the computers.  I think I'll go get a coffee refill(See Sunny, 3 times in one entry.)from the gas station and maybe a slice of pizza, and go throw snowballs at something, just because I can!!!   Have a great day and I'll see you again soon!   

                              ~Thanks for stopping by~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

somewhere along the line I've missed what you do for a living...
:)
mj

Anonymous said...

Ooh!  You totally need to get some sleep early tonight!  Wow, you were lucky the police dude was there!  Yay!  Sometimes the universe works out just right!  

Have a good rest of your day...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Snow way!  LOL  It was like 90 here in Phoenix.  Never any snow here.  That has to be scary losing your headlights.  But of course, not as scary for you but for those potential deer on the road.  I hope you have a wonderful Friday.  Luv ya!

Allison

Anonymous said...

I hope you have comem down from your caffeine buzz...;-)
what do you do again?
Lyn