Friday, September 21, 2007

My Interview questions from Indigo

   Good Friday evening!!  My computer seems to be behaving tonight, so I'm going for it!  I received these questions from Indigo at "Raven's Lament".  Instead of just the usual 5, she's "decided to go against the rules a little" and written 10 for me to choose from.  So here goes...

1. Over the holidays you have the choice of one of the following: Playing Santa in the children's ward and the local hospital, working in the soup kitchen on Christmas Day, or volunteering time and food to your local animal shelter.  Which would you choose and why?   I'll be volunteering at the animal shelter.  I always work on Holidays, so that others with kids can have the day off.  That's not so totally selfless, I get Holiday pay, and all that canine and feline snuggling.  We rent and can't have pets(except for Kirby the fish) and I miss that. 

2. What is the most courageous thing you have ever done?   I am not particularly courageous,  your basic wimp.  So, taking care of my chronically ill(with MS) husband at home for so many years is my most courageous thing.  They were the hardest times of my life.  Without going into depressing details, I stayed with and took care of a man who grew to distrust me and treated me more like a servent than a wife.  Why?  I took those vows, I believed in those vows, blamed the disease, had a child that needed his father, and because there was no physical violence, didn't realize I was being abused.  I was doing the "right thing".  I know for a fact, his own family would have dumped him in a nursing home if I hadn't been there. 

3. At the end of your life, what is the one thing you hoped would be said about you as a person?   She tried her best.

4. Did you strive to be the person your parents wanted you to be, or did you choose your own path?  How so?   A complex question with a (you guessed it) complex answer.  Yes, I am the person my parents wanted me to be.  I am kind, compassionate, creative, and responsible.  My mother was the most patient, loving, giving person I ever met. She taught me to be kind, to be resourceful, and how to make pickles.  I lost her when I was 12, to cancer.  My dad taught me to fish, to be responsible, to be independent, he built a new life with his second wife that excluded his children for the most part.  So, I lost him too.  As a result, yes, I chose my own path.  It hasn't been as conventional as my parents would have hoped, but the values they instilled in me haven't failed me yet.  I'm sure they would have preferred that I go to college, have a "normal" married, suburban life, that I'd have avoided the mistakes I made as a young adult, but some of the most valuable lessons I learned were a result of that misspent decade of my 20's. ;)

5. Do you believe love is lasting, or does it fade, give way to comfort and familiarity?   I think that love is lasting and becomes a part of comfort and familiarity.  I think that the initial giddyness and intensity can fade.  But 'true' love is a deep bond that encompasses all that along with complete trust, devotion, affection and acceptance.  I also believe that there are many in this life that are not meant to experience that.

   Well, I made it all the way through my interview, without too much techno-vagary!  Except for the font and size changes between #2 and #3, at least in this little box all the words are showing up in.  I'm gonna be brave and click on the save box.  You all have a wonderful last full day of Summer tomorrow(okay today) and at 5:51am (EDT I think) Fall will officially be here.  Get ready for the hay rides, cider, football, and everything else that accompanies the season.  Thanks for stopping by......

Leigh

  P.S. It all looks the same no matter which font or size I select!  Dumb old 'puter.  At least it's here though.  :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The entry looks great... the colors are beautiful, the words full of meaning.  Great answers... you were very honest and open and let us learn some more about the wonderful person that you are on the other side of the screen!  

Have a good night and a wonderful weekend... heading to bed here!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I love these opportunities to get to know who is behind the words written! Wonderfully put - Thank you for sharing a part of you! Take care and enjoy your weekend,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say you are courageous to be able to take care of a sick person like that.  I think we all ultimately choose our own paths in life despite what our parents may want.  Have a great weekend!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for commenting on my depressing blog about the Bengals!  Let's just be true fans and keep our fingers crossed for next week.  Nice post, thoughtful heartfelt answers.  I think you are a very brave, positive person!