Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One of the Millions-Reflections of 9/11

I am one of the millions who watched in horror as the attack on America unfolded before my eyes on the morning news.

I am one of the millions who had to move through the day not knowing how to react.

I am one of the millions who couldn't tear themselves away from the news coverage, yet wanted to hide from it.

I am one of the millions that felt grief, pain, helplessness, as the nation tried to cope.

I am one of the millions  who had no family member or friend lost or hurt, yet felt as though I had.

I am one of the millions who cried as the carnage was cleared, and learned of the heroism of the rescuers that sacrificed so that others survived.

I am one of the millions that pause and reflect on the anniversary of this date, as the images that are indelibly etched in our minds are replayed as we remember.

I am one of the millions that are so grateful to each member of the military, each member of law enforcement, firefighter, doctor, nurse, each individual who helped someone during this tragic time in our history.

I am one of the millions that will never forget.....

    I was in the kitchen having breakfast, starting another typical day, when the first reports appeared.  I couldn't believe what I saw and heard.  Throughout the day as more reports were released, I felt the shock, the horror, and realized that America, and my life as well, would be changed forever.

    I'm having trouble expressing my feelings tonite.  I've visited many journal today, and although I haven't left many comments,  I'm reminded of the strength, courage, pride, compassion, and  integrity of spirit of the people of this nation.  No matter what happens, that light can never be extinguished.

   My thoughts are with all who have lost a part of themselves.

                                     Blessings,  Leigh

   

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that day we were all in shock.  Many, like me, sat in front of the TV set and were afraid to move.  I couldn't do anything that day.  I was so useless looking back.  I've never felt that way nor do I want to again.  Have a good hump day.  : )

Allison

Anonymous said...

What you wrote, and how you wrote it, was the best memorial to this day yet for me.  Thank you.  I needed that before bed.  Some peace... I am not alone.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe it either. I watched it on the news and just stared at the tv for hours.

Anonymous said...

I truly loved your tribute...it was very special.

Michele

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the cynical one here. It was a very sad day.
Many innocent people died. We were all numb.
Your comments were very poignant and moving but I don't think we are any better off today than we were on that day. We are still vulnerable and have not learned a thing. That plan just went off better than the terrorists ever imagined it would. Even they were stunned.
They are just WAITING to do it again but they can't top 9/11.

                 Sunny

Anonymous said...

So so sad what that day took from all of us, never to be returned.  I can only pray that our eyes remain wide open and our hearts are now aware. I hope your today brings lots of reasons to smile. Take care,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written - Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Tribute hon! (Hugs) Indigo