Sunday, September 9, 2007

~Packratitis~

    Okay pinch me just to make sure I'm awake!  The Lions WON today.  I am giddy with football glee.  The past few years football season have started with some hope, soon to be dashed, but this year, it could be different.  They looked really good.  And it is my duty as a fan to have those high hopes-every year.  So-Yes! Go Lions! 

    What a beautiful day today was.  A perfect September day.  I had the day off and decided to tackle some of the remaining boxes in my bedroom, with Many breaks on the porch.  I am ashamed to say that I am a hopeless, disorganized, packrat!  Oh the shame.  I just can't help it,  I want to keep everything! (except for some of those clothes that really had to go)  Is there a Packrats Anonymous?  I really have a terrible time throwing things out or giving them away.  I do have a bigger closet here, so I can rationalize keeping some of this stuff, Right?  I did find some things that I haven't seen in awhile, like the newspaper picture of Son in his Count Dracula costume when he was in third grade.   I found a missing glove from 2 winters ago, but don't have the other one anymore. ;(  And I haven't come across my quotes journal, but did find a few that I need to add to it.  I'll share a few of them at the end here.  I know I wrote about all the "stuff" before, but I'm back in the trenches and it is one of my biggest problems-saving all this "stuff". 

   I've been saving quotes in a journal for years now.  When my neice went away to college, we started to write letters back and forth, and I would always include a quote from a book or magazine.  Then she would send me one or a silly cartoon from the newspaper.  Not to get off track here, but people don't write letters much any more do they?  I always looked forward to her letters, and the little tidbits I'd find inside.  I may have to get out my stationery box and reinstate the tradition.  Just for the fun of it.  I've got a whole bunch of quotes saved up-as soon as I find that journal!!! 

    Here are a couple of the quotes I found-hope you enjoy them.

" The world does not define us as individuals, We define ourselves"    I don't know who wrote it.

And one to fit this topic. "You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?"  Steven Wright

  Thanks for stopping by....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the quote about the world not defining us, we do.  Very nice that the Lions beat the Raiders, can't stand them.  Have a great week.

Allison

Anonymous said...

I like quotes too!  I have to start a journal!  Oh... yes, I need Packraitis Anonymous too!  LOL  Hang in there... it will get better...you will weed thru it all, slow but sure!  Go Lions!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

da bears lost the cubs lost. Grrrrr. It was a beautiful day here too except for the losing sports team.

Anonymous said...

I take one day a month and send off hand written letters to friends and family. One of my favorite stores is Joannes Fabric (just for the stationary). I also include quotes in my letters and e-mails. Have come across some really good ones lately (including yours). Hope your day brings you reasons to smile. Take care,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I actually write snail mail letters a LOT.  Started about five years ago when the Post Office came out with the 50 stamp set of the states.  I bought a set and thought it would be fun to send all 50 letters to one person.  It took two years but she got all the letters.  Since then I write to anywhere from 4 to 8 people at a time depending on what stamps are out (I try to match the themes to the people).  I rarely get letters back but that's not why I do it.  I do it because I hear over and over again how it makes their days when they open up the mail box and find something from me in it.  
And btw... you should call the home and garden channel (or is it TLC?).  One of them has a show just for pack rats like you.  They send a crew out to help you do clean out without losing your mind. LOL  Of course, it all ends up on TV but who doesn't want to be on TV?
:)
MJ

Anonymous said...

Hey...nice to hear about your day....
I TRY not to collect too much stuff and I am pretty ruthless when it comes to getting rid of things. I took a HUGE bag of clothes to the Goodwill Store the other day. It was enough that it actually made a dent in my closet. It made me feel good.
I just wish I could get my hsband to part with some of his old books. They are everywhere. And Monica holds on to every magazine she has ever gotten because she " wants to read the articles". or donate the to the VA hospital.
It drives me crazy.
My rule: 1 year for books, 3 months for magazines and out they go!
Bye for now........

                                        sunny

Anonymous said...

After having lost entire households time after time. I learned to have things around I enjoy, but to keep it at a happy minimum. At least I try to, Doc and I have a small two story, two bedroom house. The size of our home doesn't allow for a lot of packratitis. (Tell that to my overflowing basement). Hmmmm this is going nowhere (winks). The weather has been rainy , but cooler and pleasant to be sitting on the porch. (Hugs) Indigo