Monday, August 13, 2007

Reflections of a home.

    The house is quiet this morning.  Potsey stayed at the new place last night, Bro is doing well at the hospital and may get to come home tomorrow.  Most of the furniture is moved, just some dressers, desks, kitchen table, my bed, and the computer desk to go yet.  Today, we all have to work, so only alittle will get done here. 

    The house is quiet this morning.  I'm an early bird, so when I got up this morning it was still dark.  With just the night light in the hall to light the way, I walked to the kitchen for my thermos of coffee.  And I realized just how quiet it was.  A sadness welled up inside me, that I've been too busy to notice.  I'm going to miss this house.  We've lived here just over 2 years.  I can look out the back window and see the firepit that my son built for us when we first moved in.  It's a unique tearpdrop shape with a pile of stones at the point.  We've had some nice bonfires and all the memories that go with them.  Maybe just one more tonight, to say goodbye.  The kitchen wall that was our photo gallery is empty....  They'll have a new home now.  Kirby, our fish, has been moved, so I can no longer hear the bubbler on the tank.  The coffee pot and the microwave have left, the counter that was always too crowded, is bare.  

    The house is quiet this morning.  I remember when we first moved in.  I was the first one to sleep here, I did most of the cleaning and unpacking, due to the flexibility of my schedule.  I was all by myself then, and the house was quiet.  When you move, you always have the opportunity to arrange and rearrange things till they feel just right.  They did-feel just right here.  Don't get me wrong, the new place is nice, the neighborhood is quiet and we have friends that live nearby.  I know, that in time, it will feel like home, too.  My son has promised to come visit next summer and create a firepit for our yard there.  We'll have some of our flowers in pots to cheer up the yard the rest of this summer, so it won't look so empty.  But the garden where the birdbath was, has to stay here.  The birdfeeder that I watched out the kitchen window has to stay here, but we'll build another.

    We'll make the new place feel like home, I know.  But as I sit here, the only noise, the keyboard clicking....The house is quiet this morning.

Leigh  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by and returning the favor!

Congradulations on the diggs hope you like it there!


Christopher

http://journals.aol.com/cmarlow330/ChristophersJournal/

Anonymous said...

{{{ Leigh }}}} Change is hard... but I know your new house will be a home before you know it.

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Ah the inbetween place. Not quite there or anywhere just inbetween reflection on life. I have moved more times than I care to always having to leave everything behind. I usually left with an Indian bag full of clothes. Over time I finally started being able to hang on to a few things here and there. Recently Doc suggested moving to another house out in the country, more property a bigger place. After thinking it over, I told him I wanted to stay in our small home a little while longer. This is the first real home I've ever had. It feels right to me to stop and reflect here for now, maybe in a few years I'll be ready for something more. In the end dear heart home is where your heart is, wherever you are your home. (Hugs) Indigo