Saturday, August 18, 2007

   Wow, the weekend is half over already!  Of course, with the weekend only being two days, when one is done, that's it, half over.  I've actually had some weekend days off lately.  I usually don't, my clients needs are 7 days a week, and I don't ask for many off.   I had all of last weekend, had made plans, but life is what happens when you're making other plans, so.....   We're still moving the last of the things to the new place.  Bro is doing well, taking things slow, and doing most of the unpacking and organizing while I take care of the heavier stuff.  Potsey has to work all weekend.  I'll be glad when we're all done with this.

    What happened to summer?  Here in northern Michigan, we've had a couple very cool nights.  The furnace has kicked on several times, and last night there was frost 10 miles north of here!  Wait!  I'm not ready for this yet.  I'm not done swimming, not done napping in the sun, haven't even gone to the Dairy Queen yet.  The dollar store already has Halloween decorations out.  This is all going by too fast.  Make it stop!!  Okay, small fit over.  :(

     I noticed the changes in the woods near here, the ferns and smaller plants that have gone without much water all summer, are giving up and making way for the next season.  It is such a gradual process that you don't notice, then all of a sudden, you have to turn your headlights on for the drive home from work, wear that sweatshirt for awhile in the morning, add a blanket to the bed, start thinking about homemade soup and warm bread for dinner.  That's one of the things I love about living here.  You experience all the seasons, all move gradually.  Usually.  The leaves will begin to turn the bright golds, reds and oranges.  Apple cider and pumpkins begin arriving at the market.  There's frost on the windsheild in the morning.  Then one morning you wake up and there's the first snow on the ground.  You have the  pleasure of looking out the window on a snowy morning, at the beauty of freshly fallen snow clinging to the stately pines, sparkling in the sun, like diamonds.  You see the tracks of the animals that are hardyenough to venture out, and have the desire to add your footprints, make a snowman and play.  Then, the sun stays out a little longer, the days are a little warmer, and you notice the first buds, the first shoots of the daffodils, the first robin returning.  Now it's time to go for that long walk and see what else has begun to be return.  The days are longer, the clothes are lighter, and spring cleaning brings the fresh air and color into your home.  The first plants arrive at the greenhouse, the summer birds return, the leaves unfurl, and your mind turns to picnics, days at the beach, potato salad and burgers on the grill.  The blankets come off the bed, the fan cools you at night.  Another year has gone by. 

    This is So, not, what I had intended to write about tonite.  It's funny how your mind can wander when you start thinking...

    Thanks for stopping by.   Leigh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !!!!!!!! I am a new visitor to your place. I have to say that I am glad you made your place public. I enjoyed reading your entries. I hope that you do stick around. I also have a place here is my link -----> http://journals.aol.com/southernmush/DearDiary/

Do feel free to pop in and say hello. Thanks again for sharing your life with us. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came by your journal by way of somewhere, I followed links from one place, to another, and so on...and here I ended up!  Just wanted to say how lovely your description of the change of seasons was to read...just lovely!

~Phinney  :)

Anonymous said...

Your entries are very thoughtful and lyrical.
You make me want to be a better writer. I find myself just rambling about every day stuff and not noticing the things that you do.
Good job....
The Yankee Candle Store has all their Halloween stuff out too...They'll have Christmas stuff before Halloween even gets here. I HATE that)

                        Sunny

(Wow ..What happened to summer?? .. It stayed right here in South Carolina!
I can't believe your furnace has kicked on..Would you like some of our 100 degree heat??  LOL. I can send you some.)

Anonymous said...

I know, Leigh, it goes too dang fast!  I can't believe I have 2 weeks and the kids will be gone off to school... ack!  Wasn't it just January????

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that we are both in that same frame of mind. I live in NY so I get the changing seasons as well. I love it! I used to live in Fla. and I have to tell you there is something very wrong about Christmas Lights in a Palm tree. Thanks for this entry it was heartlifting. (Hugs) Indigo